Nursing mother. Tested positive for pregnancy. Planning for abortion. Looking for suggestion

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi
i am pregnant right now bcz my date was 2nd april but it didnt happen and i checked i am pregnant so i want abortion but i do breastfeed one child from last 15 mnths so does it effect on breastfeed child...
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 7 minutes later

Before going to abortion, better to consult gynecologist once get examined, go for one ultrasound to confirm intrauterine pregnancy and to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
After that you can take tablets for abortion with her advice.
Usually these tablets may not have any affect on breast feeding or on the child.
So you can take them with the doctor's advice.
Better to follow some regular method of contraception to avoid these problems in future.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Nursing mother. Tested positive for pregnancy. Planning for abortion. Looking for suggestion 4 minutes later
doctor advise us to go for Mifegest pills,should we go for these tablets and not for termination and according to you it does not effect on breastfeed child and future pregnancy...

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later

Mifegest contains mifepristone, which is used in combination with misoprostol for termination of pregnancy.
Usually these drugs will have peak plasma concentration at around 2 hours.
Then misoprostol will eliminate from the body in 4 to 5 hours and mifepristone in around 12 hours.
So you can do one thing, after giving the breast feed to the baby you take mifegest and maintain at-least 6 hours gap to next feed.
And prefer vaginal route for misoprostol.
Regarding the dosage and schedule of the drugs your doctor might have explained to you, if not you ask her once again and follow her advice.
Though these drugs are said to be contraindicated in breast feeding, when you maintain sufficient gap between the drug intake and feeding these may not affect your baby.
And usually these will not have any affect on future fertility.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.