Nursing a baby, not emptying bowels, minimum amount emptied, causes. Treatment ?

hand nursing a 13day old lvebird. yesterday I noticed his crop is not emptying. again today. what do I do. Bowels are at a minimum. help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

Bowel emptying is not as regular in newborns as we see in the adults.

The possibilities are-

1. Baby food is fed either too cold or too hot: The temperature of the formula should be at least 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Closely monitor the temperature with a digital thermometer.

2.Baby formula is too thick: Feeding a formula that is too thick will result in dehydration and crop stasis. On the other hand, feeding the formula to thin will prevent your lovebird from getting proper nutrition, potentially leading to starvation and death. The consistency of the formula fed must be appropriate for the age.

3.Dehydration - fluid replacement is a necessity to save the life.

4.Chick is chilled: The environmental temperature for chicks ten days or older are 88-92 degrees Fahrenheit; younger chicks: 96-98 degrees F.

5.Overfeeding will result in overstretching the crop. Inexperienced caretaker very easily overfeed. It is important for you to know when to stop feeding.

If all these causes are ruled out then you must consult a vet to rule out and treat bacterial or yeast infection.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.