Numbness on skin surface, painful sutures, got skin ulcer after skin graft surgery. Is this a permanent symptom?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I had skin graft surgery 5 years ago due to long hospital stay and in the event acquired a skin ulcer. Currently still have the feeling of numbness on the surface of skin and a painful sensation on outer lining of the graft from sutures. Is this a permanent symptom? What can I do to relieve the pain?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Your symptoms are most likely due to the involvement of the superficial nerve fibres in the scar tissue. I am sorry to say that it is a difficult situation to treat. Drugs like gabapentin can provide you some relief.
You can get the appropriate doses prescribed for you from your physician.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.