Numbness on arm and foot in morning. Medical cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
When i get up in the morning my left arm and my left foot feels numb for sometime. Its bothering me a lot.. Please help
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 58 minutes later
I understand your concern as a health conscious individual and appreciate your efforts . Yes it is of significant concern when there is both arm and foot numbness.
Though it recovers in some time it is indicating some underlying problem in your nerves or blood circulation . Considering it is only one sided it could be most probably due to pressure on your nerves emerging from the neck ( cervical spinal cord ) which supply both the upper and lower limbs. If the problem is more generalised it could be either obstruction to blood circulation during sleep or neuropathy ( eg diabetes ).
For confirming the exact diagnosis it's important that you get yourself examined by your doctor or a neurologist .
Please do not neglect this symptom though it is a transient one it could be a marker of an underlying problem .
Meanwhile make sure you practice good sleeping habits ( avoiding postures which might compromise blood circulation. Also lead a healthy lifestyle including a nutritious diet ( XXXXXXX in b complex vitamins ) and yoga or daily exercise .
Hope that answers your query.
Please feel free to ask any further queries.