Numbness in the lips after injury. Tried neosporin. Should I be worried?

Two weeks ago, I received a cut on my lip. It didn't seem XXXXXXX and is less than an inch long. However, I'm now numb in that area. It's been numb since a couple of days after it happened. It doesn't hurt, but I can't feel anything unless I really poke it, which of course I don't do much. I don't take any prescription medication. The antibiotics I was taking for the cut lasted a week. I'm up to date on my tetnis shot. I've been putting a lot of neosporin on it (could that make it numb?). There is no pus, just a little bit of redness, so I don't think it's infected, I just don't know if numbness is something I should be concerned about.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The numbness around the cut is due to the superficial nerve injury in the area due to the cut. After the wound heals there might be partial regeneration of the nerve fibres thus causing the sensations to return. Applying neosporin on the area does not cause a loss of sensations in the area.
Usually such minor sensory loss due to injury returns spontaneously without any treatment over 4-5 weeks. There is nothing serious to be worried about.
Some other common causes of loss of nerve sensation are nutritional deficiency,allergic reactions, excessive cold, exposure to chemicals, electrolyte imbalance etc.

If you have been smoking heavily and regularly then it could also be a reason.

Some measures:
1)Stop smoking completely for few days and observe for changes.

2)Avoid alcohol,sea food as it may trigger an allergic reaction.Prefer having home made food.

3)Apply petroleum jelly overnight.

4)Have a glass of orange juice or any mixed fruit so that if any electrolyte imbalance is corrected.

5)Avoid stress and relax your mind.

If the symptoms persist or worsen consider visiting a Physician for evaluation as a physical examination would be beneficial.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.