Numbness in left arm after dinner. What could it be?

My left arm goes numb after I eat dinner
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
If you cannot move it, seek consultation NOW

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this numbness. If by this you mean that you cannot move the hand, then please seek immediate consultation as this could be an early sign of stroke. What is your age and do you have any diseases for which you are being treated now?
I advice immediate consultation because early stroke can be arrested and symptoms reversed while late presentation may leave far reaching consequences.

If is is simple decreased sensation, then please monitor and if it should become repetitive, then seeking a consultation with a neurologist should be strongly considered.

I hope this addresses your query. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information if need be. I wish you well and keep me posted.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Numbness in left arm after dinner. What could it be? 42 minutes later
Im 35 y/o male no deseases. But a family history of heart issues
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

It would be extremely rare for a healthy 35yo to suddenly succumb to stroke or any heart diseases without any previous warning signs. This episode would most likely not be concerning though it could constitute the warning sign.

Given the history of heart disease, I would suggest that you get a heart evaluation to look maybe for silent ongoing abnormalities. Also, other risk factors should be closely investigated and addressed accordingly. Basic exams like a full cardiac evaluation, an ECG, fasting blood sugar, blood pressure, fasting blood sugar and lipid profile would provide an idea about any risk factors that may need attention at this time.

I would also suggest that you stay physically active, avoid too much fats intake, keep your weight within the normal bracket, avoid excess alcohol and smoking.

For now, monitor the symptom. Consider visiting your physician for these evaluations and management if need be.

Thanks for using our services and I wish you well.
Please, feel free to ask for further information if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD.