Numbness and tingling sensation in legs after surgery for disc prolapse. History of ASD surgery. Help

Dr. Good Morning, I was treated for Disc Prolapses and surgery done done in 2008. After my surgery my numbness and tingling sensation in legs still continues. Experienceing nerve pulling as if controlling the horse with rope. when cousulted it may be due to post operative residual effect. Ican now walk only with slippers. I cant walk freely in mud. Now in 2012 Mar I was diagonised with Congienatal Heart diseases and OH surgery was done for pre cardial closure of ASD. My Blood levels ( Including Lipid Levels) are normal, not diabetic. BP always 140-150/90-100. No medications was prescirbed during my reveiw in July. Taking normal food. follows vegetarian food with occasionally taking Chicken & eggs. Pl kindly find a solution to my probnlem. I am working in High Profile office in computers. After surgery my work level in computers has been minimised. Used to go regular walk. Thanking you.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I am sorry to hear about your problems. I shall try and provide some useful suggestions here.

Disc prolapse is associated with neurological symptoms. Some of which are reversible after surgery, but some are left behind as residual symptoms. Unfortunately as neurological recovery is very slow process and occasionally they can remain for life.

Based on your description you seem to have only sensory disturbances. If they are troubling you, report back to your treating doctor. He/she can start you on drugs like antidepressant/anticonvulsant which can help in treating these symptoms.

In addition to that, physiotherapy can give positive benefits. Go for it. Also take vitamin B1, B6, B12 supplements. They help.

You heart seems to have stabilized after the surgery. Blood pressures appear to be mildly elevated. You may require some antihypertensive medicines which can be prescribed by your cardiologist. Please plan a review with the cardiologist and take their suggestion.

Despite the suffering, I am glad to know that you are leading a healthy life. Continue with a healthy diet and lifestyle. I hope you will have a healthy and symptom free life soon.

Hope this helps. If you have further query or clarification, please ask; I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.