Noticed yellow and brownish discharge on the pillow. Is this due to double teeth or ear wax?

ENT Specialist
i have had a discharge on my pillow now for about two weeks.It started off being yellow/brown and has eased off a bit being a browney orange colour not bright red like blood.Ihave seen the dentist and my gums are ok but I have two double teeth at bottom back which were root fiiled but have now rotted away to small stumps and wondered if these were draining, he said he could not tell untill these were removed but could not be certain.I have always had a tendancy to sleep at times with my mouth open and slobber a bit.also my right ear has a narrow channel and is always blocking with wax. I have given all these details as I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Ear wax may give rise to a yellow, orange or brownish discharge on the pillow. However it would be fluid enough unless mixed with water entering the external ear canal while bathing or unless there is an ear infection.

2. All this can easily be ruled out by an ear examination with an otoscope.

3. For determining any dental problem, dental X-rays will help.

4. If these above causes are ruled out, then drooling of saliva is one of the possible causes. nasal obstruction causing mouth breathing and dental infections may also cause excess salivation which can cause the discharge on the pillow.

5. Eye drops running through the nose during sleep may also be involved.

I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.