Noticed white dots near throat and burnt lips after drinking red wine. How to avoid this?

Oncologist, Surgical
red wine BURNS my tongue. I have never noticed this problem before and I have drank red wine often. The listerine breath strips also are burning like I never have noitced before. Also chapped lips-can't seem to keep enough chapstick around. Small white dots toward the back of (near throat) my tongue. Quite uncomfortable & something isn't right. I'm 55 male 175lb in good health
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The sores which you are describing could be caused due to certain things. They could be sores which are normally caused to due consumption of spicy or fried food or smoking or excessive drinking. They usually resolve in a few days and multi-vitamins help in their healing.
Another possibility could be aphthous ulcers which occur repeatedly and there is no particular cause for them. They also resolve by themselves.
Finally the white patches you are describing could be leukoplakic patches, which can sometimes be XXXXXXX and turn into cancer later on. I dont mean to scare you but you need to have these patches evaluated by a surgeon, who would then suggest the further course of management (which could include a biopsy of the lesion as well).
I hope it turns out to be normal sores and you get well soon. Please try to avoid drinking, smoking and spicy foods when you have these sores.

Follow-up: Noticed white dots near throat and burnt lips after drinking red wine. How to avoid this? 33 minutes later
Please see photos recently sent. Not so much highly visable sores (as shown). Seems like I have had this condition at some level for the past month or two but not at the recent discomfort level I currently have. I do not smoke. I will get some vitamins and start taking them as I am not currently.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 9 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thank you for sending the pictures. The sores present on the back of your tongue are enlarged papillae (taste buds) and sometimes they can undergo inflammation (papillitis) and cause the symptoms you are suffering from. It is advisable that you take bland food for a few days (avoid spicy and fried stuff) and abstain from drinking for a week or so. In addition, please take multivitamins daily.
This problem should resolve by itself within a few days.
If it persists, please visit an ENT doctor and let him examine you carefully and run a few tests.

Hope you get well soon.