Noticed white color patches on cheeks and forehead. Looking for solution

Dermatologist
Question
I am observing now a days a white(Colour little fairer than my skin colour) patches on cheeks and forehead.The white colour patch is becoming whiter with time(3 months).Can you kindly suggest me the reason and how do i solve the issue.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 35 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
There could be many causes for the same
1) post inflammatory hypopigmentation ie there was a previous lesion that healed with white XXXXXXX
2) eczema or p XXXXXXX where small white patches are seen slightly scaly associated with dandruff of scalp
3) leukoderma or vitiligo where lesions begin as light lesions which become milky white in color, sometimes the hair above these lesions also become white.
4) leprosy where slightly reddish white patches ( erythmohypopigmented) with slight scaling and numbness may be present.
5) fungal infection

To help you out, I would like to know if
1) there was a previous skin lesion that healed with white skin lesion
2) any itching in the lesion. Any associated scaling
3) dandruff in scalp
4) similar lesions over back chest
5) if lesions have occurred and self healed in past.

Also adding an image of the concerned area would be of immense help.

Kindly answer the queries I have put forth so that I can think of the possible cause in your case and devise appropriate treatment.
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Noticed white color patches on cheeks and forehead. Looking for solution 4 minutes later
1) there was a previous skin lesion that healed with white skin lesion(No)
2) any itching in the lesion. Any associated scaling(Yes, Remeber having an itching on that place for few times)
3) dandruff in scalp(No)
4) similar lesions over back chest(No)
5) if lesions have occurred and self healed in past.(No)

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 49 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sending us a prompt reply.
Your hypopigmented skin lesions are either eczematous in origin( P XXXXXXX or due to sun allergy) or these might be pre vitiligo lesions.
However to treat either of these, initial treatment protocol is same.
1) use a steroid cream like fluticasone or mometasone once in day
2) use tacrolimus cream 0.1% twice in a day
3) use a good sunscreen and avoid sun.
Treatment is required from 3 to 4 weeks to see response.

Sometimes very rarely a fungal infection like P versicolor can cause such isolated lesions over face without involving the usual sites(chest and back) Treatment involves application of steroid antifungal cream(HH zole or momoz T) for few days. This can be diagnosed by KOH mount of skin scraping from concerned area.

Uploading an image would have helped me to some extent in clinching the most possible diagnosis.

Hope that answers your query. If possible upload the pic of concerned area.

Follow-up: Noticed white color patches on cheeks and forehead. Looking for solution 15 minutes later
Thank you very much Kalpna,for the quick reply and for the detailed analysis.Will upload the pic and I use Lot Sun Screen Lotion(SPF 40).

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
You may continue with this sunscreen.
Upload the pic as per your convenience for better analysis of your concern.
Regards.