Noticed white bumps inside rectum. Feel pain during bowel movement. Help?

Hi. I am hopeful that you could help me out with my skin problem in the anal area. I see white-looking, small bumps inside my rectum. They don't bother me, unless I have a bowel movement. When going to the bathroom, I feel a slight pain from pooping. It has been like this for perhaps a year now, but it started bothering me about half a year ago. Thank you for helping me out with this. I hope to receive a reply from you soon.
- Your patient.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 hours later

Thanks for your health concerns.

The most common cause of rectal/anal discomfort when defecating in young people are either hemorrhoids or anal fissures, both which can be easily diagnosed by visual inspection and physical examination. The basic treatment of both includes avoiding constipation and dehydration by consuming plenty of water, fruits and vegetables and fiber; some people may require topical ointments if inflammation is an issue.

My advise would be to check with a provider who can visually inspect the lesions and conduct a quick digital recatl exam to determine the specific diagnosis.

Hope this is useful, wish you the best health, blessings.

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Noticed white bumps inside rectum. Feel pain during bowel movement. Help? 8 hours later
Hi. Thank you very much for thoroughly answering my question. I went to a doctor and he looked at it, but he did not really help me out with my issue. So, I was hoping for a more helpful answer online. I am afraid they would send me to the same doctor if I went again. Do you think it would help if you could take a look at a picture of it? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 10 hours later
Sure, I would be glad to look at the picture to get a better impression, feel free to submit.

Dr Brenes
Follow-up: Noticed white bumps inside rectum. Feel pain during bowel movement. Help? 28 hours later
Dr. Brenes,

Thank you. I do not think it is possible to upload and submit a picture here, but I submitted it on my profile. Please open it under "My report" (the only one I have is the picture). I should mention that the doctor I went to only did a hemorrhoid check on me, but could not find any sign of it. I am quite positive that what I have are anal fissures. I read some about it, and it says that after a while it will cause you abscesses (or the white bumps I mentioned). I actually drink a lot of water and eat much fiber-content food plus vegetables. I believe that my inflammation requires ointment in order to more actively heal the fissures. Please have a look at the picture of my rectum, and if you study closely, you will see a couple bumps at the center. As you can see, it is also red, indicating the severity of the inflammation.

Again, thank you for helping out!
Thanks for the picture, it is quite helpful. I agree with my colleague that there are no external hemorrhoids; but what seem to be causing the problem are inflamed perianal glands (white dots).

I agree that you would benefit from topical ointments that have an analgesic such as Preparation H (usually used for hemorrhoids but will help you as well); if inflammation is severe, hydrocortisone cream can also be applied for 3-5 days as well. Continue to eat plenty of fiber and drink water as well. Try not to touch the area without washing hands prior to prevent superinfection.

I don't see definite evidence of anal fissures, but, if there were, basic treatment is still the same.

Hope this is useful; wish you the best, blessings

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Follow-up: Noticed white bumps inside rectum. Feel pain during bowel movement. Help? 19 hours later
Dr. Brenes,

Thank you again for the prompt and detailed reply. I will go to the pharmacy to get the Preparation H and hydrocortisone creams that you mentioned. So how should I apply the creams (how much/how often and how far up the rectum)? Also, is the Preparation H gel- or cream based? I think they sell in both forms, so it would be nice to get the right one :)

I appreciate your help and support!
Hydrocortisone application should be twice daily until inflammation subsides; preparation H gel would be ideal, and it can be applied up to four times a day depending on symptoms

Hope this is helpful.

Wish you the best

Dr Brenes