Noticed weight gain after taking lyrica. What should I do to lose weight?

Nov 2013

I started taking Lyrica 3 months ago and have noticed weight gain as others report. I have started a more healthy "clean" diet, limiting "bad carbs" and still I gain. I have started exercise as well.
Are there any suggestions to boosting weight loss while taking Lyrica that actually have been proven effective? I am on 75 mg twice daily and generic paxil 10 mg once nightly.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Weight gain is an uncommon side effect of taking lyrica (pregabalin), affecting less than 10% of people taking this drug.

You may be pleased to note than only 0.3% of patients taking lyrica decide to discontinue the drug on account of weight gain.

Lyrica as such does not cause the weight gain; it is indirectly caused by eating more, exercising less, etc.

So, the steps to reduce weight in patients taking lyrica essentially remain the same as in those not taking lyrica.

So, I advise you to continue with the measures you have already started. These would show result in due course of time.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist