Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed torus palatinus growing on palate. Which specialist should I consult?

The "Torus Palatinus in the roof of my mouth" was the same size for years, however, in the last six months, it appears to be growing at an alarming rate and find that food is getting stuck under the TP. I don't have medical insurance due to unemployment but I need to see a doctor for evaluation. Which specialist would be right for my situation?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Torus palatinus of stable size for years indicates it's benign nature.
Recent increase in the size at alarming rate is ominous. It can be simply a growth of the lump as such due to local irritation or it could have an infection due to locally stuck food particles and still one more dreaded possiblity is of any malignant change in the TP.
The best speciality doctor to attend it would be an Otorhinolaryngologist commonly known as ENT doctor. Choose an ENT doctor who has experience in tumors, if difficulty in finding one then you can consult a general surgeon or an head and neck surgeon to examine and evaluate your problem.
I hope you would get benefited with my advise.
Wish you a good health.