Noticed tonsils swollen. Feeling discomfort while swallowing. Getting headache. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Hi. What should I do if for 2 days my throat has been hurting but yesterday around 8pm it got worse. Now my tonsils are swollen, can't eat drink or swallow because it hurts really bad and I can't sleep. Also starting to not be able to breathe through my mouth. Looks like I got white sores on them. I've had sore throats but nothing like this before. I'm getting headaches from them being this way. Can you tell me if I should go to a hospital since my doctors office is closed on weekends. Or just give me some information as to what it can be and what I should do.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later

Thanks for writing.

Based on your description, you seem to be having a throat infection.
A visit to ENT surgeon is essential and recommended both to confirm the condition as well as prescribe you antibiotics, decongestant tablets and anti inflammatory medications to take care of this problem.

As you plan the visit, you should try throat gargles to clean up and it decreases infection.
There are anti inflammatory tablets like aspirin which are available as dispersible at some places. You may add one or two dispersible tablets into the gargling solution for better results. Alternatively betadine or half a teaspoon of salt will also do.

Sometimes reflux esophagitis where the undigested acid XXXXXXX stomach content regurgitates up to the throat can irritate and precipitate throat infections. Therefore antacids such as tums and proton pump inhibitors such as prilosec OTC can be added to the treatment.

Consult your doctor for proper treatment. In the meanwhile, I hope the aforementioned measures can help you.

Let me know if you need clarifications.

Get well soon.