Noticed swollen eyelid above iris and sore temple area. Is this due to infection?

On Friday morning September 14, 2012, I woke up and my right eyelid was swollen to the point of just above my iris. It was painful to look around and move my eye and my right side of my face - temple area was sore. The swelling was all along my eyelid but seemed to be more swollen above in the inner part of the eye - above the corner of my eye (above the canthus). I saw a doctor on Friday Sept 14 afternoon and he said that it was probably allergies and told me to use naphcon eye drops. I used those but on Saturday Sept 15 (yesterday) the swelling seemed to be worse and more painful. In addition, there was now a line of redness (dark red) above the crease of my eyelid. I saw another doctor yesterday and he didn't know what it was because my eye and cornea appeared healthy. He didn't know why it was swelling. Right now (Sunday Sept 16) my right eyelid is still swollen and it still hurts to look around, and I feel like I have a headache on my right temple. I have been icing my eye a little bit. My eyes are not pink - they are white in color without discharge. I am planning to see an eye doctor this week but I was wondering - what do you think this is? I just thought of the fact that in XXXXXXX 2012 this year I got my upper 2 wisdom teeth taken out - is it possible that it became infected (even this much later - 3 months after) and now my eye is swollen due to this infection? When I had my wisdom teeth taken out, my surgeon said my teeth sockets looked great but that was back in XXXXXXX 2012.
Please advise, thank you!
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later
I am sorry to hear about your eye problem.
As a first impression I think you have got Chalazion a meibomian gland cyst of the eye lid. The cyst tends to get infected.
and may give considerable pain and discomfort. It some what like stye which is
caused by infection at the root of the eye lashes and usually stays at the lid mergin.
The chalazion stays at the lid. The treatment is systemic antibiotics. Some time surgery may require. As you are going to see the opthalmologist I am sure he will suggest appropriate treatment. The best home treatment till you see the doctor is hot compresses with dry cloth on the eye lids, four to five times a day.
I wish your speedy recovery.
Kindest regards
DrS.K. Mukherjee
Follow-up: Noticed swollen eyelid above iris and sore temple area. Is this due to infection? 6 hours later
Ok thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 5 hours later
It is pleasure here.
Please close this discussion and rate my answer.