Noticed swollen and hurting veins near bladder. What is going on?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hello my XXXXXXX veins near my bladder really hurts and its swollen
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Swelling and tenderness of superficial veins are usually seen in thrombophlebitis ie inflammation of the veins. The reason could be localized injury, infection, stasis , blockage or more serious illnesses like blood or liver disorders.
You haven't mentioned the details of the onset, duration and progress of the problem , or any associated symptoms like fever ,any medications etc , which could help me in narrowing down the possibilities .
The best way to get a confirmed diagnosis is to get it physically examined by your doctor or preferably a surgeon who might after examination conclude the exact diagnosis and start treatment accordingly or order further investigations like ultrasound abdomen etc.
Assuming you have no associated symptoms and just recently noticed thickening or swelling and painful veins the probability of it being a minor localized thrombophlebitis is more and application of local anti thrombotic medications like ( hirudoid or thrombophobe ointment etc) may relieve the pain and swelling .
However if you have any abdominal pain , urinary symtoms , past or recent medical illnesses then its best to get it evaluated by your doctor right away .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Follow-up: Noticed swollen and hurting veins near bladder. What is going on? 1 hour later
thank you for your answer iv'e been to the doctor a lot of times but they won't do any thing and this has been happening for a year
and a few months
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
I assume you have been carefully examined by your doctor and any serious cause of the the dilated engorged veins have been ruled out .
Since its a long standing condition it's advisable you consult a specialist ie a general or vascular surgeon who might further probe into the matter , investigate it for example by venous Doppler ultrasound etc and come to the exact conclusion. You may apply warm water bag fomentation to improve the local circulation and some temporary relief. For the pain and swelling antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen taken thrice daily might also provide temporary relief . Buy without the exact diagnosis a curative treatment can't be recommended.
So do consult a doctor and get investigated as advised.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my reply if you have no further queries.