Noticed swelling and pain in ankle after injury. Painful to walk. What should be done to get relief?

I fell over a month ago and injured my left XXXXXXX very badly. Slow to heal. Weeks later terrible pain in left ankle with swelling. Went to doctor, checked for blood clot, nothing. Pain continues and now radiates up to my hip..It is affecting right ankle as well. Walking is painful. I am totally exhausted too.
I don't want to over react, but something is wrong. The most pain is right above left ankle and into calf.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The Pain in the hip could be due to faulty walking or abnormal gait secondary to pain in the ankle.

The trauma you had a month ago would have left an Ligament injury or an hair line fracture.Both the above conditions are always missed in the initial stage as they do not cause serious symptoms initially.

I suggest you to first get an X XXXXXXX of the ankle involved and immobilize the ankle by winding a Crepe Bandage for at-least 2 weeks.If there is no lesion/fracture found in the X XXXXXXX and no getting better with Crepe bandage , there would be need for an MRI then to identify any ligament tears.This is to be done under supervision of an Orthopaedician.

Meanwhile do apply Diclofenac gel over the affected area.Do not massage the ankle.Hot fomentation can provide you some relief.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.