Noticed swelling and hardness around breast of a newborn. Is there any complication?

Hi Doctor

I was blessed with baby girl on 18th Dec 2012. Baby girl was healthy at time of discharge from hospital. since yesterday she was weeping a lot. Later we noticed that there is swelling and hardness around her (chest) breast. seems to be releated to fluid (milk) accumulation. please advise what to do?
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

First of all congratulations on birth of Baby Girl.

I do not see any reason for worry.

In female child after delivery it is some times seen due to withdrawal of maternal hormones.

Still, it is better you visit your family doctor/paediatrician and get her examined. If needed your doctor might give some medicine for relief of pain or discomfort.

Normally it subsides on its own.

I hope this helps.

Wishing her great health.