Noticed sunken area on leg above ankle. What could be the cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I just noticed a sunken in area about the size of quarter on my leg 4 inches above my ankle. It doesn't hurt or itch or anything. What would cause this?

Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
A sunken area on the leg without any history of trauma is likely to be due to a local fibrosis in the area. A retracted muscle in the area can also cause such an indentation.
You need to self monitor the area for any skin changes, pain , increase in the indentation, etc. In case any of these changes appear then you need to consult a physician for a direct examination and related investigations to detect the cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.