Noticed small itchy red pimples on scalp and painful lump behind ear. Prescribed Avelox. Suggestions?

I had a 'cold' for just over two weeks. Then, the right side of my scalp began itching. Along with the itch, small red 'pimples' began appearing. Four days ago, I noticed a painful lump behind my right ear (at the base of the skull). Within one day, the entire area behind my ear became swollen into the lymph node. The right side of my scalp continues to be red and itchy, with several small pimple-like bumps. I have no fever, nausea and only the right side is infected. (I can provide a photo)

A local doctor prescribed 7 tabs of Avelox (400mg) per day...and shampooing with Selsin Blue. After two days there is no change whatsoever.

Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored addressing your health query today. I am so sorry about what has been happening to you and I do promise to walk you through what the possible explanation and treatment is.

From your symptoms, you probably developed a bacteria infection on the right side of your scalp. These infections are most commonly caused by staphylococcal and streptococcal species. They often take the form of impetigo, cellulitis or eryipelas. Moxifloxacin is a very good broad spectrum drug that covers both germs adequately nd treats most of these infections.. Selsun blue is to cover for any possible fungal infection like tinea capititis but from the picture, this is unlikely to be associated or be the cause. I will suggest that you add an antiseptic lotion for washing the hair.

Lymph nodes drain specified areas of the body. The scalp is drained by these lymph nodes located at the back of the ear and other at the back of the head. on the same side. As they strive to mount and immune reaction and fight the infection, they increase in size and become palpable. At times, they ay feel warm and even hurt on touching.
Two days are too few to evaluate this treatment. However, if the lesions are getting even more worrisome, then it may be a reason to reassess and make sure there is nothing we are missing here. I will suggest that we give ourselves a few more days before judging on the success or failure of this therapy. Also, the lymph nodes will take a longer time before returning to its normal size.

I hope this answers your questions and provides reliable information on which you can use to make informed decisions. If you have more questions related to this, please, I am very happy to address them.
I wish you good health and let me hear fro you about the progress of this infection.
Once more, thank you so much for this opportunity to contribute to your health care needs.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Noticed small itchy red pimples on scalp and painful lump behind ear. Prescribed Avelox. Suggestions? 41 hours later
Thank you Dr. Ditah.

The moxifloaxin seems to be working...the swelling has gone down, the itching has lessened somewhat. I remain unsure as to what an 'antiseptic lotion' is (could you clarify, perhaps with a brand name) so I shampooed with some tea tree oil shampoo. I will use the antiseptic lotion once I have a clearer sense of what to purchase.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later

I am very pleased to hear that there has been a remarkable improvement.
May it continue this way and get fully resolved soon.

For the antiseptics, you may want to try chlorhexidine based formulas, Dettol, dermobacter etc. You can also allow this out as there has been a significant improvement. It may no longer be very necessary at this point in treatment.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.