Noticed short, swollen horizontal blue bulging vein on penis. What could be the cause?

Hi, my questions are about vein thrombosis. For a very long time I have had a short, swollen horizontal blue bulging vein on the penis, right below the head. It is usually very noticeable. When stretched it becomes vertical and appears much smaller (??) but still visible. There is maybe a slight dark hue at one end. I think the original damage may have been caused by it getting caught in a zipper. It has never caused any pain and is not hard to the touch. The past week or so however I have noticed the vein appears to be swelling more temporarily especially it seems after hot water in the shower. I have tried applying ice to the vein and it appears to shrink temporarily also. I also have some much thinner but prominent red veins at the penis base, one of which has a small bubble or dilation. These too sometimes are hardly visible and sometimes larger. None of these cause any pain, or feel hard to touch. However they are unsightly and worrisome, especially the large blue one. My questions are - is this penile thrombosis, a varicose vein, a clot.... damaged valve due to trauma, or some other problem? The obvious fear is the large blue vein will swell or break when penis is erect but it does not, it appears much less noticeable. I have read online posts about bulging veins of this sort, and some have suggested aspirin, heparin cream, or are there any herbs or medication that may help? Or would this require surgery to repair and if so, how serious/involved would such a procedure be, and is there a risk of damage. Can provide photos if needed to help clarify- Thank you for confidentiality.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Not likely to cause problems Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. This type of vein is quite natural and is found on many people. Not necessarily it is due to clot or varicose vein. Clot of penile vein is a known disorder but as there is no pain and it is present for long time, I don't think it is the diagnosis. As it is not causing any pain, it does not require any treatment also. If you can upload a photo, I may be able to say this with more certainty. Regards
Follow-up: Noticed short, swollen horizontal blue bulging vein on penis. What could be the cause? 11 hours later
Hi, OK I have included two photos, P0000.JPG and P0000, thank you
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later
Brief Answer: This looks normal Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for sending the pics. This appears to be normal vein to me. No need to worry. Regards