Noticed rubber type smell in the car. Worried 2 year old inhaled toxic fumes. Risk of cancer? Worried?

Hi. We have a new SUV that is giving off a rubber type smell. I noticed in the rear of the cabin under a floormat and cardboard cover is the spare tire. I am concerned as we drove on a 10 hour trip with my 2 year old child and I am nervous if she breathed in toxic fumes for these 10 hours if I could have given her cancer since we were breathing in a closed space with air recirculating. Is this something that I should be extremely concerned about? Thank you
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I completely understand your anxiety regarding your daughter being exposed to these fumes. I want to reassure you at the same time however that this degree of exposure is not recognized as Something that would trigger cancer.

The human body is very resilient to most types of things. The main goal is to minimize exposure to any types of toxic substances or fumes over a lifetime. This short period of time of exposure Is quite small. At the same time we are not even sure this is a XXXXXXX type of exposure. Most likely this is related to the fact that your vehicle is brand-new.

Something you can do for the next few weeks is to keep the windows of your car open when you drive. This will help to circulate air throughout the vehicle and minimize any continued Exposure to higher concentrations of fumes.

Again I understand your degree of concern but I want to reassure you that this type of exposure offers minimal risk to you and your child.

Please be sure your child continues to followup with her pediatrician and be sure to discuss this concern with the pediatrician as well.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns that you would like to discuss.

Dr. Galamaga