Noticed redness in half of body and watery eye in a 4 month old child. What should be done?

Hi my nearly 4 month old boy the last few days has started to have moments where he tenses up goes bright red in the face. But the redness seems to stay on the right side only and his right eye goes watery only??? He seems to pull a face like he is pooing but he is not.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.

The phenomenon going red on half side body is seen normally in infants.
As the nervous system of the body is not developed in babies.
As the baby matures the problem will resolve.
Also I would like to know -
does he have any other symptoms like breath holding spasms?

excessive crying?frequent unreasonable /unconsalable cries
does he develop swelling of the eye or watering?

Answer the questions to help you better.

I will be available for follow up.

Dr Sudarshan.
MD dermatology.
Follow-up: Noticed redness in half of body and watery eye in a 4 month old child. What should be done? 10 hours later
Hi thanks for the response. Generally speaking he has been a very happy go lucky baby smiles and chuckles. Very rarely cried except when wanting to eat he is a big eater and impatient waiting for his food. Although when this red face started he has become a lot more unsettled not wanting to play as much as normal and seems a little miserable wanting to sleep more often and irritable in general. Watery eyes- he does every now and then get where both eyes water and look like he wants to itch them and his nose goes a little red but its not often occurrence maybe 1 or 2 times a fortnight. Red face- started about 4/5 days ago and as said goes red then stays red only on right side and his right eye goes watery the left side and eye goes back to normal. Screaming fits- he has suddenly got these last 3 days and seem to occur later in the afternoon around 2:30 to 4:30 and can last up to his bath time at 6 it is now a period of about 3 hours of just holding him he seems to be very uncomfortable through this period screams and goes red all over.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 18 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for the details.
As Ive mentioned earlier it is most likely to be normal phenomenon.
As the nervous system of the babies is immature it sometimes can cause unilateral erythema in babies.For these crying spells and screaming fits you need to see a pediatrician as it can be a manifestation of seizures.A visit to pediatrician will allow proper examination and treatment if required.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.