Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed redness and thickness inside of penis foreskin. Worrisome

The inside of my penis foreskin has thickened and there is redness on my penis head .Some irritation on the penis head.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It appears that you are having a "balano-posthitis", which is an infection of the foreskin and glans (head) of the penis. I have noticed in your medical history that you are a diabetic. Now, this infection is indeed common in diabetics, especially when the sugars are not properly controlled.

Here are a few suggestions which you can follow:

- Proper genital hygiene is very important.
- Wash the area 3 to 4 times a day with diluted potassium permanganate solution or a diluted, mild anti-septic solution.
- After washing, dry the area well with a clean cloth.
- You can apply a topical antibiotic and anti-fungal cream (e.g. Trioderm, Candid B, etc.) twice a day.
- Avoid using perfumed soaps, deodarant shower gels, etc. which may irritate the skin and mucosa.
- Wear thin cotton underwear to avoid sweating and dampness.
- Most importantly, check your blood sugars and ensure that it is under control.

If you follow these suggestions and your sugars are controlled, your infection should subside within a few days. However, in case, it persists or worsens then you need to visit a dermatologist for a proper evaluation and further treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar