Ask a Dentist   »  

Noticed redness and swelling with white bumps where wisdom teeth was. Little sore to swallow. Advise?

Question
I have been feeling a little off lately, I noticed in the back of my mouth where my wisdom teeth once were that there was redness and swelling with white bumps. It also seems like little sore to swallow but only on one side of my throat??
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

As per history posted here and the reports attached,it seems you have developed an infection in the region of third molar.

Can you please tell me when was your third molar extracted and due to what?
Are you taking any medication,if so please mention?
When did you last visited your dentist? Do you have any gum problem or any decayed tooth in your mouth?

Please send me above details and I would be able to comment better.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Noticed redness and swelling with white bumps where wisdom teeth was. Little sore to swallow. Advise? 41 minutes later
It was extracted 5 yrs. ago Dentist thought it would help with TMJ. Last visit with Dentist was over a year ago and I do not believe I have any gum/decaying issues.
Also, when I swallow it hurt a little in the right side of my throat feels like a gland is swollen.

Best Regards, XXXXX

Metoclopramide 5mg
Dexilant 60mg
Valacyclovir 500mg

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 21 minutes later
Thanks for reply.

It shows you have developed an infection in the region of third molar. For this, you can take a course of antibiotic and analgesics for three days.

Simultaneously also do rinsing with antiseptic mouthwash thrice daily.
It should recover soon.

If the symptoms still persists, then please see your ENT specialist for clinical examination.

Let me know for further query.

Thanks.