Noticed redness and irritation on the blackhead removed area. Put neosporin. What should I do?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doc- i used an extractor tool on what looked like a small blackhead last night. It seemed to extract but then i woke up and the whole area (much larger than the one pour that was extracted) was irritated. It has now crusted over a bumpy red. I put Neosporin on it. Anything else i can/should be doing?
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query and photograph. It is appearing red and crusted due to injury and inflammation. Instead of neosporin please apply oint mupirocine. It is a better antibacterial. Also take tablet ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 5 days. Dont worry you will get good relief within 5 days. Let me know if you have any other doubts, Thank you

Follow-up: Noticed redness and irritation on the blackhead removed area. Put neosporin. What should I do? 47 minutes later
Great i am wondering if all will be fine if i do not do the antibiotics. I may not have access to them as ill be traveling internationally tomorrow .

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. even neosporin is an anti bacterial. you can use it, if you don't have access to other antibiotics. Don't worry it's not a serious thing. Thank you

Follow-up: Noticed redness and irritation on the blackhead removed area. Put neosporin. What should I do? 33 hours later
Great thanks. One last question. I am guessing its a cold sore, yes? If so i have some Abreva. Worth putting some of that on it too?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Abreva Is not required. its not cold sore, just continue with neosporin. Soon there will be good result. Thank you.