Noticed red bumps on penis. Could this be from friction burn or is this herpes?

Question
Hi, I have been having lots of sex with the same partner i have had sex with for the past year. I wonder if this red bump of my penis is just from lots of sex (i recently about 2 weeks ago, shaved off all my pubic hair), or if its something like herpes? Is there an easy way to tell the difference between something like herpes and something that could be friction burn from sex?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query. From the symptoms it looks like bump caused after friction rub or chafing or after shaving skin but if it has been present for a long time then it can be due to genital wart as well.

Herpes is less likely in your case because you had the same sexual partner for 3 years. Most individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. When signs do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters on or around the genitals or rectum. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur.

What you can do at the moment is follow these methods for a quick relief from the bump:

1)     Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material. When doing exercise wear athletic tights or cycling shorts.
2)     Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.
3)     You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.
4)     Application of Neosporin cream and oral antiinflammatories after a prescription from your doctor are helpful.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Noticed red bumps on penis. Could this be from friction burn or is this herpes? 11 minutes later
Do herpes' blisters typically form more of a bubble look or they can look like a rash as well? Do herpes typically come in clusters with several little blisters or can they come in one bigger size rash bump?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

When present, the initial symptom of genital herpes usually is pain or itching followed by small red bumps or tiny white blisters which may rupture, becoming ulcers that ooze or bleed. Eventually, scabs form and the ulcers heal.

Herpes does not present as one big bump or a rash but as small blisters.