Noticed rashes on torso, have headache, runny nose and sore throat. What am I suffering from?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my 5 year old was flushed in the cheeks yesterday afternoon and after his shower noticed a pimply rash on his torso. Not very itchy. He has been vaccinated against chicken pox. He has a headache and is not himself. What could it be, The past week he had runny nose clear mucous, a croup like cough, sore throat and was a bit malais.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
A viral flu is often associated with such a generalized rash.
In most of the viral infections the rash starts after the fever subsides, may spread to the whole body or peak for a couple of days and then gradually subside on its own in few days to a week.
The rash might be associated with itching and may respond to antihistamine drugs like cetrizine or hydroxyzine. You can also apply calamine lotion for relief. Taking antipyretic like acetaminophen will take care of the generalized symptoms and headache.
The other possibilities though unlikely could be a drug reaction to any medicines taken or bacterial sepsis.These are usually more severe and require prompt treatment.
In your child they are not likely as he has no associated symptoms like redness, high grade fever with chills now.

But if there is any new symptom like bleeding, pain, pus discharge, breathing difficulty then please consult your pediatrician for confirmation of diagnosis .

If the symptoms persist for more than week from now please visit your doctor to rule out bacterial infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.