Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed rashes on penis head. Should I be worried about herpes?

I discovered a rash like anomaly that appears white at the base of my penis head. I am concerned that it may be herpes but from the online research I have done it doesn't appear to match the blister formations I have seen. I have a pic if helpful.
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I have seen the picture which you have sent. In my opinion, this doesn't look like Herpes. Though the typical description of Herpes is the cluster of fluid-filled blisters, it is possible to have atypical presentations after recurrent infections. Nevertheless, the type and nature of lesion which you are having does not seem to be related to a Herpes infection.

It appears more likely to be a 'balanitis' (infection of the glans), caused by a fungal infection. I would suggest the following measures:
- Wash the area (with the foreskin retracted) three to four times daily with diluted potassium permanganate solution (potassium permanganate crystals or solution should be available with your local chemmist)
- Apply a thin layer of an anti-fungal cream (like clotrimazole or miconazole) twice a day.
- Keep the surrounding areas clean, sweat-free and dry
- Avoid using any strongly perfumed soap
- Avoid wearing tight clothing and wear loose cotton underwear

If these measures are followed, your lesion should most likely settle down gradually within a week to 10 days. In case it doesn't, then you have to see a doctor for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar