Noticed purple discoloration on labial fold. No swelling or itching. Worrisome

Oncologist, Radiation
My wife has a purple discoloration on the left labial fold. It extends from the edge approximate 3/8-5/8 in width for a distance of one and one half inches. The surface of the discolored area has the same texture as the adjoining normal colored skin. There is no swelling or itch associated with it.

My wife is quite worried! Thank you for any clarity that you might give us.
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX forum.

Purple discoloration on the labial fold commonly due to fungal infection. Often associated with itching.

Contact dermatitis may also be a cause due to contact with irritants like soap, undergarments, any sort of spray etc.

As an oncologist I would like to suggest the following
please inform your doctor as early as possible if the lesion
- is increasing in size
-change its color from purple to red or black
-change the texture
- associated with sudden onset itching, change in margin
-has elevated surface
You should better consult a gynecologist for detail clinical examination. From clinical history it very much sounds like a benign lesion. Anyway. I will be available for follow up if you have any query.