Noticed pin sized brown itchy spots on feet and increased in number. What is it?

About 3 months ago I noticed these small pin sized brown spots on my feet. They are on the top of my feet and they have become very itchy, I also think they've increased in number. What could it be?

Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection or bleeding spots. Examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX

Being a GP, If someone comes to my clinic with such complaints I will first rule out following in the order of priority with examination and investigations.

1. Fungal infection. The lesion appears as small group of lesions and turns itchy with time and spread to adjacent area. Appears as cluster, initially tiny fluid filled lesion but later can change to dark color. Usually occurs in moist area.

2. Bleeding spots. If tiny hemorrhages then they appear dark color under skin and turns itchy in time. Usually the will be secondary to other medical illness like varicose veins, diabetic vascular disease.

So with the symptoms I first like to give anti fungal ointment if fungal infection along with anti histaminic like cetrizine HS. If not controlled, then I like to refer them to dermatologist for further examination as explained.

Since you are diabetic I advice you to get done LFT, lipid profile and RFT once to rule out any other cause and continue the treatment for diabetes along with regular exercise and adequate calorie intake.

Hope this answered your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries. You can upload the photo of the lesion so that I can diagnose it better.