Noticed pigmentation on roots of the hair on back and shoulders. What is the disease called?

there is pigmentation on roots of the hair on my back and shoulders . it was there form many yrs , but now it has increased very much on my back since last 3 to 4 months , i don't know why ? the has given me retino gel and topisal lotion to apply on afftect area , she says that it's tendancy of skin and it's not disease , so if am consious about my skin then i sld undergo chemical peeling for my back and shoulders , i want to take second opinoin
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 34 hours later
From the description it probably seems either you might be having macular amyloidosis or lichen planus pigmentosus.
Macular amyloidosis is characterised by brown or slate gray/ black rippled pigmentation over back and shoulders
LPP is slate gray pigmentation over sun exposed areas.
The diagnosis is confirmed by clinical examination and skin biopsy.

I would be in a better position to comment on a possible diagnosis if you could attach an image of concerned area

As general treatment measure for pigmentation
Avoid sun exposure
Apply sunscreen of SPF 50
Take oral vitamin c and antioxidant supplement
Pigmentation reducer creams like hydroquinone steroid tretinoin, Glycolic acid etc can be used
Chemical peels like Glycolic acid peels or trichloro acetic acid peels can be taken
Another effective treatment option is Q switched laser.

Firstly I would advise that you get the diagnosis confirmed. As you have already applied topical creams, you may take chemical peeling sessions but if the diagnosis is what I have proposed results will be limited. Right now you may try peeling sessions. For the same consult a dermatologist near by.

Hope that helped.