Noticed nose bleeding. Have bumped and scratched inside. Was painting using oil base aresol can paint. Paint could have caused?

In the past hour my nose started bleeding. I have not bumped it or scratched it inside. I was painting my grandaughters room today. I was using a oil base aresol can paint (Kills upshot) on the ceiling. I did wear a cheap mask 95% of the time. I have never had a nose bleed before. Could the paint have caused this? I am a 53yr old female in pretty good health. Only chronic illness is chronic back pain and Type 2 diabetes that is controlled.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to be paint related.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about the nose bleed you had today.
Good job painting the room of your grand daughter. Wish I were her!

This bleeding is probably and incidental bleed. Most nose bleeds don't really have a cause. Blood vessels in the nose are very superficial. In hot whether or with physical exercise, they dilate to dissipate heat from the body. Because of their superficial nature and fragility, this leads to easy bleeds. This is the most common cause of epistaxis. Given the fact that you were working in a hot summer weather, this is a plausible explanation.

Why not the paint?
The acuity of the bleed and lack of any other symptoms of intoxication make this less likely. It would have required days/weeks for the product to get into the body and affect the clotting mechanism. It is rarely an immediate occurrence.

Hope this answers your query fully. Feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD