Noticed movable hard lump in the middle of clavicle. Is this serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have a hard lump about the size of a small olive on my left clavicle. It is about right in the middle of my clavicle. It is slightly moveable. I first noticed it about a month ago and it was the size of a pea at that time. It has grown. I have a Doctor's appointment in a few weeks but I am wondering if I should try to get in sooner if it is something more serious.
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The possible causes for your lump are:
Cyst in the bone like aneurysmal cyst.
Benign or malignant tumors of the bone.
Enlarged lymph nodes.
Fractured bone presenting as lump. Sometimes person may not notice a fracture which will present only as lump without any other symptoms.
So after getting examined by your doctor possibly the exact nature of the lump can be identified and treatment can be taken accordingly.
If possible better to consult the doctor early, so that serious conditions like malignancy can be ruled out. But don't worry this is very rare.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Noticed movable hard lump in the middle of clavicle. Is this serious? 11 minutes later
I was wondering where exactly the supravlavicular node is located. Is it on the clavicle or directly above it?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Supraclavicular lymph node will be located above the clavicle in the supraclavicular fossa.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.