Noticed mild loss at 8khz and slightly reduced ear function after cleaning ear with cotton tip. What is the cause?

Question
Hi, About 2 mths ago my left ear felt blocked. I cleaned it out with a cotton tip & ever since I have had ringing. An audiologist has reported a mild loss at 8khz and the Eustachian tube function test did indicate slightly reduced function for the left ear. Could the reason for this be a tumor or the like? Thanks
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Less likely to be a tumor. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The mild hearing loss that you are having could be due to an infection, degenerative change related to aging, earwax- improves after cleaning of the ear canal, exposure to loud noise, some medicines like antibiotics, exposure to metals like mercury or tin, hereditary, head injury or a benign growth or tumor. The tumor or any growth comes last in the list of probable causes. Your ENT specialist can help you in detecting the cause after an examination and few investigations. Till then avoid caffeine and smoking. You can also add Zinc and Ginkgo Biloba supplements to your diet for relief. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Noticed mild loss at 8khz and slightly reduced ear function after cleaning ear with cotton tip. What is the cause? 24 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. My dad suffers from tinnitus in both ears and my brother who is deaf and wears hearing aids also suffers from tinnitus. He somehow is able to block out the ringing. The blocked feeling is no longer an issue and I think the more I worry and stress about it the more noticeable the ringing is.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Tumor or growth is unlikely. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Since you have a strong family history of having hearing problems, the tumor is further unlikely. You can decrease the ringing by taking zinc and ginkgo biloba supplements. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards

Follow-up: Noticed mild loss at 8khz and slightly reduced ear function after cleaning ear with cotton tip. What is the cause? 40 hours later
Hi I have been doing some reading on the internet and some women experience ringing in the ear and a blocked feeling while Perimenopausal. Is this one possibility for me, even though i am experiencing it in only one ear. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. It can be related . Detailed Answer: Hello. The ringing in your ear can be related to perimenopause even if it is present in one ear. It happens due to the hormonal changes on the body. Regards.