Noticed lump on right soft palate. Suggest

ENT Specialist
Question
HI i have problem

i found lump on right side of soft palate ( look at picture)

my dentist thinks that this is becouse of infection he gave me medicine but now its two weeks after this and my lump is still there....
The lump feels flat and soft it can move a little in direction....I HAVE AN APOIMENT TODAY IM REALLY WORIED THAT IS CANCEROUS?
The dentist thing that this is becouse of infection of 8 touth but im really sceard becouse medication didnt work .... and now is two week already
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The small area marked out in the image is in the region of and between the Retromolar Trigone and the Anterior Pillar of the Palatine Tonsil.

2. It looks like and inflammation due a dental infection. Cancer at your age is unlikely.

3. To remove all doubt, it is better to get an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) or a small biopsy to check this lump.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed lump on right soft palate. Suggest 13 minutes later
So you think that is inflamation and not cancerus? So if this is still here after meds and two weeks ... Its posible?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, it is possible if the cause, such as a nearby dental infection, is still active.

2. This lesion is easily observable hence it can be regularly checked.

3. This region has a firmly attached mucosa (inner lining) and overlies a pad of fat. It is the deeper extent that is difficult to judge on an image. Direct examination will help, therefore let your dentist guide the treatment.

4. It looks benign, however do get it checked or biopsies if it persists for more than six weeks, increases in size, bleeds or ulcerates.

I must emphasize that cancer is a rare possibility in your case.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed lump on right soft palate. Suggest 13 hours later
i went to the dentist yesterday and he sad that becouse it looks a little blueish when shining light in it ... he is convineced that it is infection becouse lower 8 touth ....

he send me to oral sergion so i can get it out ....inflammation due a dental infection

is this bump going to grow if i dont have it fix ?

the next question is i have had a strange soure on side of toung ...that has change and i my dentist thinks now is ok ?

i want your opinion... it startet march and to today ....it lookt like cancer soure maybe and then it heald wierdly...it like a cirle without papilae on toung now ?

i uploadet pictures from day 5 and 14 days and now 2 months...

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Treatment of the dental infection (source) will heal this lesion.

2. The images of the tongue seem to show a probable chronic injury by the edge of a tooth. Ask your dentist to review it periodically.

Regards.