Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed light brown specks and skin discolouration on penis. Any idea what it may be?

Hi, I noticed a few months back that there were a few light brown specks appeared on the glanz of my penis near the tip along with a light brown discoloring under the skin that extends down the left side. The bumps are individual and look similar to a light mole/freckle and are nearly invisible normally however when erect are quite visible. I have not been sexually active and do not have a history of warts.. These spots are not painful or itchy in any way. Any idea what it may be?
Posted Sun, 14 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi dear ,

Thanks for writing in.

The spots you are describing can be penile lentigenes,postinflammatory hyperpigmentation ;FDE.

Some amount of pigmentation is common in adults of your age.

It is considered normal and does not indicate any disease or pathology unless
they are symptomatic.

If you can upload photo of the glans (close up and distant) it will be of great help in predicting the condition.

Upload the photos and we can continue the discussion.

Follow-up: Noticed light brown specks and skin discolouration on penis. Any idea what it may be? 5 hours later

Thanks for the information, it is a relief to know what this may be. I have uploaded the photo's you requested, it may be difficult to see but if you look carefully you should see small brown spots, some are a little raised like a mole. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi Again,

Ive gone through the photos.

It appears you have got nonspecific postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.

It may be caused by trauma sexual or otherwise.

Nothing needs to be done about it as it does not indicate any pathology.

It is not related to any disease or infection.

There is nothing to be worried about.

Hope this helps.