Noticed left eye irritated. The white around eye is red and blood clot. Have blurred vision. Diabetic. Take atenolol and metformin. Suggest?

I noticed my left eye is irritated. the white around the the eye is very red and blood shot. also I have blured vision in the left eye affecting my ability to read. what is the problem. I have diabetes high sugar readings take insulin and metformin, take atenolol 50mg for high blood preasure .
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 days later
Brief Answer:
uncontrolled blood sugars and blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in.

Both uncontrolled blood sugars and blood pressure in the long term can cause diabetic retinopathy or hypertensive retinopathy respectively , which could cause blurring of vision etc.

Other differential diagnosis that comes to my mind is trauma to the eye , conjunctivitis etc.

I would suggest you consult with an ophthalmologist (eye specialist) who will use an instrument called an ophthalmoscope to visualise the retina and assess and diagnose your condition accurately.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan