Noticed large, swollen, itchy, red patches on hand. What could be causing this?

Hi, I've been outside for a few hours.. I live on a property with lots of bush so there are heaps of midges and other bugs around. When I've come back inside I noticed that there was a large swollen red patch on my hand covering the middle two knuckles and down to the middle of the back of my hand. There is no pain... Very mild itching which has stopped since I have taken 2 anti histamines and applied a cold pack. Now there is a rash starting to develop down the same arm. Any idea what caused it?
Thank you!
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

It appears that you have suffered insect bite.Some species of insects can cause immediate hives and rash later on.Beetle dermatitis after beetle bite is known entity.Spiders,fleas,ticks may cause rashes.

Also I would like to know-

Is there any fluid filled or bullous lesions?
Rash is flat or raised?
Is it spreading or stationary?
Is there any target like or bulls eye lesion?

Can you upload photos of the affected area?
Photos of rash can help in predicting the condition.

Till the time you can continue Ice application and antihistaminics.

Also you can apply calamine lotion over the rash.It is available over the counter.

Hope this helps. Anticipating your reply.

MD Dermatology