Noticed large lump in vein where IV had been inserted. Hurting and itching. Should I be concerned?

My husband had surgery last Friday. today after taking a shower he noticed a large lump appeared in the vein that the IV had been inserted. The site is also hurting and itching. Is this something to be concerned about?
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
If there is no bleeding,there is nothing to be concerned about.The vein might be inflamed due to the iv insertion.He can apply ice packs to the vein.There is also an ointment called thrombophob that be applied to the affected area.