Noticed inflamed and burning labia. How to get cured?

I just attended a trauma conference and noticed inflamed labia when I sob or cry processing emotional and sexual trauma from childhood. I also noticed burning on the right labia earlier this week after a hot salt bath and then I used an epilady depilatory and had sex a few minutes later with my partner. I wax and remove the hair with a depilatory device.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.
Inflamed labia can occur due to STD and non STD causes.

STD or sexual transmitted diseases like herpes genitalis , chancroid,LGV can cause inflammed labia.

Non STD causes like contact dermatitis, angioedema, furuncle ,folliculitis, trauma of hair removal etc.

I would like to know-
Do you or your partner have any history of herpes or any other STD ?
Any visible ulcer /sore over labia?
Have you tried any new soap, inner clothes,cosmetics etc.
Do you have any known allergy/food allergy etc.

Answer the above questions to help you better.

Till the time you can take over the counter anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen . Also you can apply mild steroid like hydrocortisone cream once a day.

If you have any visible lesions please upload photos of the affected area.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

Dr Sudarshan.