Noticed dark red abrasions on forearms. Few are bleeding. Left scars. What to do?

I have noticed dark red abrasions on my forearms when having to work with cardboard. They can be big, they do not bleed but i have had to cover them up becaus e i work in the food indestry and it is gross for the customers to see. They do not hurt they are not raised they are a deep red looking like they are bleeding. Past couple days when i have gone outside to water the plants i have gotten a couple mosquito bites and after scratcing the red spots appear I actually do remember a few of the abrasions bleeding when working with cardboard I didnt even notice them until i saw the blood These spots last for days and some have left scars But no pain and no itching for the red spots and no where else on my body
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
From the description it seems, you could be having dermatographism. It is a type of urticarial rash. It appears as red linear lines and may have itchy or burning sensation. As you feel it is related to card board exposure, you may get an allergic testing done for card board. However you have also mentioned, you developed same rashes while watering the plant, so these rashes could not be related to card board exposure as well. Dermatographism usually develops when skin gets scratched.
Treatment in this case is taking an oral antihistamine like cetirizine daily for couple of weeks and application of calamine lotion to soothe the skin.
Hope that answered your query.