Noticed change in colour of tongue. Tasting bitterness in mouth. What to get rid of this bitterness?

ENT Specialist
Hi, my tongue has turned XXXXXXX towards the back of it, and i had bitterness in my mouth for a day or so
I tried numerous things, ive drank plenty of water, im not on any medications and do not have any medical conditions, healthy, 30 yo
I dont mind the XXXXXXX colour, but the bitterness is extremly annoying,

What can i do to get rid of this bitterness?
After speaking to a pharmacist, he recomended a proton pump inhibitor (just in case it was GORD) , ive taken that and still no benefit

Ive tried brushing my tongue numerously, even with multiple mouthwash products, also useless!

Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A XXXXXXX coating on the tongue may be due to fungal infection, overuse of mouthwashes or antibiotics, smoking or acid reflux, dehydration, constipation, poor oral hygiene and so on.

2. Since you have a very bitter taste in the mouth it will be better to rule out reflux of bile.

3. A metallic taste is common when the tongue is coated.

4. I must emphasize that you should get a direct examination done. Many other signs and symptoms such as a hairy tongue, bad breath (halitosis), ulcers, burning sensation, bleeding on using a tongue scraper, a throat and tongue swab will decide the further course of action.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.