Noticed burst vein in leg. What treatment should be done?

Excellent

Question
A vein in my leg burst and now I have an open sore the size of a pencil eraser that won't heal.. How should I teat it?
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
From your symptoms it seems you are having very bad varicose vein in your legs.
When very tortuous these veins tend to cause poor drainage and get congested and cause venous ulcers on the overlying skin.
You should get yourself examined by a surgeon because at times these veins can cause large ulcers overtime and do not heal, rather can lead to lethal sepsis.
If required these dilated tortuous veins should be excised well in time to avoid further ulceration.
If surgeon does not see any big risk then may be the things can respond to cleaning and dressings, which you can learn yourself and carry on till it heals.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Noticed burst vein in leg. What treatment should be done? 2 hours later

What is best to clean and should I apply antibiotic cream? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The hydrogen peroxide solution or savlon solution in sterile water is best option for such ragged wounds.
Antibacterial creams should be applied.
Options are Fusidin or Neosporin to be applied twice a day.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Noticed burst vein in leg. What treatment should be done? 15 hours later
What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I already take baby aspirin what else would you suggest? Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 11 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
You should avoid from injury, wear long pants to keep safe.
Avoid prolonged erect postures.
Get examined by a local surgeon. If correctable, surgical treatment gives great relief.
Taking aspirin is sufficient help, if it does not help then probably it is time for surgeon to act.
Wish you a great health!