Noticed bump and swelling on upper leg. Blood and pus oozed after popping. What could this be?

Question
I got a bump on my upper leg and it became swollen and after a day or two it started to look like a zit but ten times bigger. So I pressed on it to try and get it to pop and a lot of white/yellow puss came out of it and really dark blood. When I got it all out it was like there was a hole in my leg that you could fit a needle into. It took a couple of days of pressing on it to get all the puss out. What could it be because my boyfriend has had one a couple of weeks after I had mine.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
The problem is surely not an STD.
The bump is called a furucle or a common boil.
The treatment is with drainage of pus, dressing and antibiotics.
It can occur as such or can spread by direct cotact with skin of infected person, may be your boy friend got it some how by coming in contact of the boil.
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.
Wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Noticed bump and swelling on upper leg. Blood and pus oozed after popping. What could this be? 11 minutes later
What is this caused by? How could I possibly have gotten it?
Also what kind of antibiotics should I use/take to prevent or help heal in a better way?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
These infections are caused mostly by skin flora- staphylococcus and streptococcus.
These bacteria flourish in the diabetic skin and when you do not use soap properly- either not foaming every where, not washing out thoroughly or not mopping dry the skin properly with towels.
Penicillin group of antibiotics are quite effective, you should take under supervision of you physician, dose and duration he would know once he examines you.
Better skin sanitation as I told in start is the most effective prevention.
Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Noticed bump and swelling on upper leg. Blood and pus oozed after popping. What could this be? 5 hours later
Is penicillin the only medicine to take because I am highly allergic to taking that.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
You have other options which are comparable to penicillins are also available.
I would advise you to visit your local physician, he would know the options and regimen according to the wound's condition at present.
Wish you a great health!