Noticed bruise on side ribs after accident. Feeling sharp pain in upper back. What is going on?

Excellent

Question
Hello, I'm 34 male and had fallen off my motorcycle about a month and a half ago. After my fall it felt bruised on my right side ribs under neath my arm. Since then the ribs feel alot better but now I having sharp to dull pains in mid to upper back near the spine. The pain is there and gone within a sec, I notice these pains after swimming over a month After my fall. Is this muscle related or something else going on ? Note: when I did fall I pulled my arm in into my ribs and impacted the ground at a angle.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Both the possibilities are there.
It might be a bony injury affecting the spine.
The spine injuries can be XXXXXXX when the cause compression of spinal cord.
And a fall from bike is enough source for causing them.
You need a physical examination by your physician and get base line investigations like Chest X XXXXXXX Xray Cervical spine and if needed CT Cervical Spine, Electrocardiogram, Complete Blood Counts, Renal Function Test.
This work up is expected to detect the underlying problem so a definite treatment could be provided.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: Noticed bruise on side ribs after accident. Feeling sharp pain in upper back. What is going on? 3 hours later
Thanks for your response Dr. XXXXXXX a day or 2 after my fall it did hurt to cough or blow my nose, I would get a pain kinda behind my shoulder blade. The pain from that was for 2 weeks or so and went away. But everything was good till I went swimming then noticed having sharp to dull pain in my mid to upper back. I do notice my back cracking alot now after my injury, im hoping its a muscle and nothing else. I'm going to make an appt. next week to see my Dr. About this cause it's bothering me now. It seemed to go from sharp to a not so sharp pain. Any more input would be awsome, thanks agin for your help.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physicians!
Muscle strains are benign injuries and heal with time nicely.
As a clinician it's my duty to inform you against lurching dangers.
Unstable spine injury is a very remote possibility in your case but still it is necessary to rule out that why I want you to go to a physician and have a work up.
I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to post your view in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Noticed bruise on side ribs after accident. Feeling sharp pain in upper back. What is going on? 18 hours later
Thanks for all your help, I started thinking this pain could be from a misaligned rib ? I do still feel a little soreness on the right side of my ribs. Is this a possablity ? I get the pain about 10-15 times a day. By the way i scheduled an appt. for next tues. thanks again Doc.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Possibility always is there albeit less in favour of a rib rather it can be a pulled muscle or a bony injury.
Physical examination by clinician would be helpful.

Wish you a great XXXXXXX