Noticed bruise on leg. Have itchy legs, belly and back. How to get rid of this?

I have itchy legs often and it leads to the morning when I wake I am itchy on my belly and back and leave big red marks from scratching
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 36 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Commonest cause of such itching can be an allergic reaction. A trial of oral antihistamines can be given to see if they help. If symptoms resolve then this will partly confirm possibility of an allergy. With help of your doctor you can then find out cause of allergy, as this will need clinical evaluation. Avoid scratching as much as possible. Use body moisturisers before going to bed.

Second important cause for such itching leading to bruising is altered liver function. Itching is due to bile product deposition in subcutaneous tissue and bruising is due to altered blood coagulation. This is less common possibility but does need consideration, if there are any ongoing liver related issues.

In my opinion you need a primary clinical evaluation to decide course of action.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are doubts.