Noticed brown stringy discharge between periods. What is going on?

May 2013
Hi, My period is not due until the 20th of this month. For the past few days I have been noticing small quantities if brown stringy discharge accompanied by light red blood. It has become a small bit heavier in the last 24hours, I am wondering what this might be as i know it is too early to do a pregnancy test.
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 41 minutes later

The possible causes are:
-Inter-menstrual bleeding or early onset of periods due to hormonal imbalance.
-If you had unprotected intercourse around the period of ovulation, then this may be implantation bleeding.
-In case of lengthier menstrual cycle, this can be ovulatory bleeding.
So you watch for two more days. Possibly the bleeding will subside.
Then observe your next menstrual cycle:
-If you miss your expected date of periods go for pregnancy test. Or
-If the inter-menstrual bleeding repeats better to consult gynecologist once and get examined.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.