Noticed blurred vision after tissue massage. What is going on?

About an hour ago I had a XXXXXXX tissue massage that included my upper back and neck. Immediately after the massage I noticed that the vision in my left eye was extremely blurry. I even checked to see if the lens had fallen out of my glasses. I have bad eyesight anyway and my left eye is worse than my right but I'm terrified now that something is really wrong.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 8 hours later
thanks for sending your query to us.
this definetly needs looking into.There are two possibilities,one if there is an overall blurring or two ,if there is a sectorial blurring like one half of field not seeing well.
If it was something transient then after a while it starts improving.
If the blurring persists after a while detailed fundus examination to rule out retinal detachment or vitreous haemorrhage.
we have to go in for retinal examination immediately
please do get back to me in case of any need.
Follow-up: Noticed blurred vision after tissue massage. What is going on? 11 hours later
About 24 hours later, the blurring has resolved somewhat though not 100%. It is an all-over blurring ... Just as though I don't have my glasses on. I have an appointment scheduled, but can not get in immediately. Could this have been caused by pressure on my eyeball on the massage table, or stimulation of a nerve in my neck? After the massage my eyes also appeared swollen and somewhat bloodshot.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
thanks for getting back to us.
This was a vascular phenomenon,caused by excessive compression .
you should have your thorough checkup,and i am sure that would be reasonably normal.
In future please get only muscle massage done and avoid compression.
I am glad you are O.K.
Any difficulty please do get back to me .