Noticed blue mucous from nose accompanied by cough. Looks flurosent bright purple. What can be wrong?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have been noticed while blowing my nose blue mucous started about a month and a half ago. accompanied by a cough and over all not feeling too well my mucous has now progressed to a flurosent bright purple. whats wrong with me?
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial or fungal infection, blood or pollution.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1 The blue or purple mucus discharge from the nose may be due to bacterial or fungal pigments, blood or pollution.

2. You must get examined by a doctor who can get this discharge examined, cultured and also look for nasal and sinus infections which may be causing these symptoms.

3. The cough is most likely be due to a post nasal drip of this mucus which is irritating the throat.

4. A nasal endoscopy, a Sinus CT, examination with culture of the mucus in a lab and blood tests may be done.

5. You may follow up with the reports here for further treatment advice.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Noticed blue mucous from nose accompanied by cough. Looks flurosent bright purple. What can be wrong? 13 minutes later
ok, so basically it could be a blood infection because I have suspected possible endocarditis? could this be possible?

Brief Answer:
Possible if infection spreads from Endocarditis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The cough and coughing up any blue phlegm or mucus may be related to the endocarditis due to the iv crystal meth use.

2. Since you also have endocarditis, you should seek medical attention.

3. Blue / purple nasal mucus may be due to blood borne spread of infections which are common in infective endocarditis.

Regards.